Re: 4-cyl engine whine

- --------------40BC01118D82C81A2B15ECB6

It may be the belts themselves.  Check the belts tension and condition.
You may want to try some belt dressing just to see if that stops it.
But don't look at the dressing as a permanent solution.  If the dressing
helps, you may need to replace that belt or tighten it.

Joe

Victor Lapy wrote:

> my dad's jetta ('87 gli) has a real bad problem.  when ever it rains,
> and the rain stops,  it starts producing this horrible whine.  it has
> a variable pitch...when accelerating,  the pitch drops,  then comes up
> again.  during hard accelaration,  it actually sounds like a peel out
> =).  it's sooooo frikkin loud,  obnoxious,  and embarassing.  any body
> here ever experience this?  this sound is just sooooo very annoying.
> i'm guessing that one or more of the bearings that the belts ride on
> are fuc%ed up.  guys???
>
> vic

- --------------40BC01118D82C81A2B15ECB6

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
It may be the belts themselves.&nbsp; Check the belts tension and condition.&nbsp;
You may want to try some belt dressing just to see if that stops it.&nbsp;
But don't look at the dressing as a permanent solution.&nbsp; If the dressing
helps, you may need to replace that belt or tighten it.

<P>Joe

<P>Victor Lapy wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P><FONT FACE="CAC Moose"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=+2>my dad's
jetta ('87 gli) has a real bad problem.&nbsp; when ever it rains,&nbsp;
and the rain stops,&nbsp; it starts producing this horrible whine.&nbsp;
it has a variable pitch...when accelerating,&nbsp; the pitch drops,&nbsp;
then comes up again.&nbsp; during hard accelaration,&nbsp; it actually
sounds like a peel out =).&nbsp; it's sooooo frikkin loud,&nbsp; obnoxious,&nbsp;
and embarassing.&nbsp; any body here ever experience this?&nbsp; this sound
is just sooooo very annoying.&nbsp; i'm guessing that one or more of the
bearings that the belts ride on are fuc%ed up.&nbsp; guys???</FONT></FONT></FONT>

<P><FONT FACE="CAC Moose"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=+2>vic</FONT></FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --------------40BC01118D82C81A2B15ECB6--