AMS Supercharger Impressions

Heya everyone, I went today to AMS with a friend who is (was, but more
on that later) interested in getting the AMS Charger.  I thought I would
post my impressions of the system and everything.

Construction of the Kit Itself:
I have to say AMS did a superb job on the kit itself.  They really made
everything fit very nicely and it is incredibly clean.  No welding or
drilling is necessary to mount the Charger and it does indeed use a
7-rib belt.  The system we saw was indeed using the MAF and the piping
was of good quality.

Performance:
We rode in the GTI (as featured in EC).  This car is fast.  No, it is
not just fast it is sinfully fast!  Jesus Christ.  The charger comes on
really low (from what I could tell, I didn't drive it, only rode).  But
the power was there all the way from down low.  The power keep coming
even up to 7000 rpm.  The tires easily spun in first second and third.
WITH ALL THIS SAID, I know have to point out I did not like it one bit.
To be frank the car felt WAY too unsafe.  I have driven and ridden in a
lot of fast cars (current 911 Turbo, M3, etc.) and where those cars felt
REALLY good going really fast this didn't.  Even if the charger system
was $2000 I still would not get it.  It is simply, in my opinion, the
case of having too much power for a certain chassis.  Whereas flooring
it in the 911 was a totally hair-raising experience unlike anything I
have ever experienced...IT STILL WAS FUN AS HELL.  Stepping on it in
this car was not fun.  It did not feel safe, and it did not feel
"good".(at least from a riders point of view)  The car also has a lot of
trouble keeping the power to the ground and I seriously would question
reliability.  Also one thing I did not like was that the charger was
incredibly loud.  Almost to the point of being annoying.  Although this
may not be a consideration for a lot of people, I could not daily drive
with that constant whine in my ears.

Finally, the system is DAMN expensive.  Well over $4000 including
installation and tax.  I wish you guys luck in your system, but I don't
think as many people will like it as much as they think.  At least from
my point of view...

Mark Klaus Radelow