Alternative to Short Shift Kit

Heya everyone.  Just want to make a short little post about something I
found out couple days ago.  Meet a fellow VR6'er (GTI driver though)
last week; he wanted to check out my rental Neon.  Anyways, he had
something very interesting in his car.  Instead of buying a short shift
kit, he just lopped off two 1/2 inches off his shifter....I must say
that after rowing through the gears a few times it was 100% better than
stock.  The gates were really well defined and the shifting just seemed
better.  I don't it's as good as  Todd's shifter which is, no doubt,
sweet.  But if you don't have $150 to spend, I would seriously suggest
this!  Makes a huge difference.

Mark Radelow