Re: Whimpy TDI! [was: Re: yeah right!]

At 7:18 PM -0500 2/15/98, Bunmar@aol.com wrote:

>> Uwe Ross wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Better yet, look at the TDI engine.  Only 90hp, but over 140 ft-lbs of
>>  > torque.
>>
>>  TDI's are for whimps!  I ran with one up NJ Rt. 23 today towards High
>>  Point.  It was belching smoke badly.  When I finally had seen enough,
>>  I went blowing by him just to show him the mighty VR6 logo.  I had
>>  to pass him - the diesel fumes were making me sick..... :-)
>>
>>  -Arthur
>
>The other thing about TDI's that I don't like is the fact that they put an
>emblem on the grill.  This makes it a little difficult to tell them apart from
>a GLX on very quick inspection.  The VR6 should be the only car that has a
>grill emblem.
>
>Chuck Marshall

Why is that? It makes a lot of sense to me-- The VR6 indicates that the car
differs from the basic model by the addition of a VR6 engine. And, (why it
makes sense to me) a TDI indicates that the car differs by the addition of
a TDI engine.

I always look at the number of lugs on the wheels for the first indication
of whether it is a VR6 (won't work unless you're going fast), next, I look
at the side mirrors (typically, it's a GLS or GLX), if they match the color
of the car, or at the rocker panels or spoiler as a last resort.

The problem with badges is that many people take them off, or put them on
to make their cars look more or less capable than they are.

A TDI is no match for a GLX, clearly, but all Jettas are sporty cars. We
just happened to have bought the sportiest versions ;)

Just my .02.

- -Khan