Re: VW service (long)

Your points are well taken.  From past experience, my biggest gripe against
dealerships have been that they spend exactly 30 seconds trying to isolate the
problem, and, if it can not be located, it is either marked as "Could not
Duplicate" or something unrelated is "repaired", and the customer is sent on
his way.  As a good example, I had a Jetta with a bad left rear shock bushing
(it was moaning over speed bumps).  I demonstrated it for the service advisor
the first time I brought it in, and, to make a long story short, it took 4
visits to get it corrected.  I made it very clear to the service advisor what
to do and what to replace but to no avail.
Like it or not, the service advisor is the customer interface, and you could
have the best set of technicians in the country, and you will probably get
unsatisfactory service if the advisor is incompetant.  That is why I dislike
working through a "middle-man" and would rather talk directly to the
technician/mechanic.

- -- John

deecee@exit109.com wrote:

> Why is it a common practice to slam VW dealerships. I am a Master VW/Audi
> technician and have been working in a VW/Audi/Porsche dealership since
> 1976.  In my many years I have seen alot and had to put up with a lot. It
> has been within the past 5 years that have been the worst. If you ever read
> a want ad for a Service Manager or Service Advisor you will most always see
> "Must be CSI Motivated" The reason is every car manufacturer is fighting
> for CSI points which in return is thousands of dollars in bonus money. In
> in some dealerships the money filters down to the technicians. Because of
> this the dealership Service Managers in most dealership go the extra yard
> to please the customer. To please the customer the technician is the person
> who bears the most.
> <snip>
> Make sure everything you want checked or repaired is clearly spelled out on
> the work order.Make sure you get a copy when the car is finished.
> To properly prepare a case for lemon law documentation is of the utmost
> importance.

<snip>