Re: gasolines, octanes, the corporate image

Zeek,

I use only 93 octane.  Mainly because it's cleaner and will create less
deposits on you valves and in you cylinder head.  I've rebuilt enough
cars in my day to know what cheap gas can do to you engine.

As for performance, if the VR6 is set up like most modern cars it has a
Knock Sensor in the head that will detect pre-detonation of low octane
fuel.  Basically, low octane fuels, in high compression engines, have a
tendency to detonate from compression before the spark. Much like a
diesel engine.  This, over time, can harm an engine.  SO, the knock
sensors (help me out here guys) retards the timing to prevent this.  As
a CONSEQUENCE the performance of the engine is negatively affected.  IF
you burn High Octane fuel, your engine will not have to compensate, and
you will get the best performance out of the engine.  Yes, and some say
better mileage.

I've never burned anything but High Octane fuel.

Joe