Re: Autocross classifications

Bryan Billings wrote:

> Ok you see that all Passat and A3 Jettas are in DSP.  Cool
> Now go to the very bottom and read the additions.

This is a mistake, and will be clarified.  I have it straight from
the SCCA.  The VR6 Golf/Jetta still go to CSP by the catch-all.  The
4-bangers are in DSP.  *ALL* Passats (except the B5), including the
VR6, are in DSP.

> catch-all
>  DSP All 4 cylinder and Rotary Rear-wheel Drive Mini-Pickups
>  ESP All American inline 6, V6, and V8 sedans and pick-ups NOC
>  CSP All sedans over 1.5L and under 3.0L NOC
>  DSP All sedans under 1.5 liters NOC
>  CSP All sports cars under 2.0L NOC
>  ESP Other Sedans over 3.0 liters NOC
>
> Sorry Passat and A3 Jetta GLX with 2.8l V6 are CSP!

The catch-all only applies to cars that are not listed in any SP
category.  The book specifically says "Passat (all)" under DSP,
and the SCCA has concurred with me just last week.  The typo
on the Golf/Jetta A-3 chassis was forgetting "(8V)" on the end.
With that correction, the VR6 Golf/Jetta go by the catch-all to
CSP.  (Yes, they are both sedans.  The Corrado gets punished for
being marketed as a sports car, and thrown into ASP.)

To summarize:

Corrado - GS, ASP, EP
A3 Golf/Jetta/Cabrio (8V) - HS, DSP, EP
A3 Golf/Jetta (VR6) - GS, CSP, EP
Passat (all but B5) - GS, DSP, (EP?)

Somebody had asked about street touring or one of the other new classes.
They are regional suggestions only, and not eligible for divisional
or higher competition.  If you build a car to those specs, you
may have to change it back to make it fit one of the other classes
if you want to do more than run locally.....

- -Arthur