Installation costs?!?

Help me out my fellow VW buddies!!,

I just recently purchased Autotechs front and rear swaybars, as
well as the upper front stress bar.  Looking at the instructions
it just seems a little too difficult for me to work out, and I don't have
all the tools necessary to do the install.

I took the front/rear swaybar, and the stressbar to a ma and pop
shop that deals only with VW's and they quoted to me that it would
cost about $300.00 in labor to do the install.  They said that they
would have to lower the front subframe to install the front swaybar
and the entire job would take most of the day.  Needless to say
the excitement of my first upgrades went up in flames!! 8-()

So tell me my friends, are ma & pop smoking crack behind closed
doors?  Does it really cost around that much to do a job like that?
I only want to take my car to someone that seems trust worthy
and know what the heck they are doing.  They told me that if they
don't lower the subframe, that they have seen too many broken
subframe bolts.

Thanks for all of the input......
Talat
97 GLX