RE: NewJetta impressions (interior)

At 12:20 AM -0800 12/10/98, FlyinVR6 wrote:
>One question for the genius who decided on the placement of the
>cupholder.........What happens when you have to stop short?!?!?! Where do u
>think all the liquid in the cup is going to spill on to? It's gonna spill
>over your entire console.....your heating and cooling levers, your stereo
>controls and your air vents. What a boneheaded design that is. I agree with
>Don too with the placement of the stereo controls in regard to the manual
>transmission, it's a tough spot. Your wrist has to do a couple bends in
>order to operate anything. I am wondering though if the dealer can switch
>the placement of the components in the center console if they wanted
>to.....each component has basically the same space allotted for itself so
>why not swap them around. For example, I saw in EC a pic of the New Jetta
>with the stereo component at the bottom of the console and the temp controls
>on top......but at a dealer near me they had a New Jetta on the showroom
>with the temp controls on the bottom and the stereo on top.....what gives?
>Any input on this Don?
>As far as the exterior goes, I think I have to wait and see how the car
>looks with the GLX trim before I pass final judgement. I think the 16"
>wheels and leather and all the goodies will improve the look of the car.

I like the looks of the car. I think it will grow on most VW fans.

As for the cupholders, I think that, while not ideal, they are much
superior to the current state of affairs. The problem with the cupholder
can be solved by drinking 1/5 of your beverage before you go doing any
serious driving. If you get spills out of your beverage at that stage, you
would have a spill in most other cars anyway.

Anyhow, I use cupholders not to hold my drinks so I can drink them while
driving as much as for holding them there while I take the food home or to
work where I can enjoy my meal/drink OUTSIDE of my car.

-Khan

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                                       Verio
Network Engineer                                    Bellingham Branch Office
Tel 800.591.2757 x 13                                    725 N. State Street
Fax 360.738.8315                                        Bellingham, WA 98225