License plates

We have been getting a steady supply of new Jettas. These cars are like a
mutt.  The drive train says New Beetle and the rest of the car is a mini
Passat. This is going to be VWs new approach to making big bucks by cross
platforming their product.  I can't wait to see the new VR6 Eurovan engine
in the GTI/GLX.

If you live in a state that only uses one license plate you are lucky. If
you live in a two plate state you are in for a treat. Or  I really should
say the VW tech who preps your car is in for a treat.  I would like to meet
the Engineer who designed the front license plate bracket. I would
personally take this person out back and beat the living shit out of him
with a 2x4. The next time you stop by a VW dealer look at the front of the
new Jetta. Hopefully they will have a car that does not have a tag bracket
installed.  The molding is very smooth. Nice touch. The problem lies
underneath. We have to make several measurements  before 2 holes are
drilled in this trim.Inside this trim there are  2 smaller holes that the
tag bracket pushes into. One mistake in a measurement and the tag bracket
will not fit securely. Another VW tech in my shop came up with a large
piece of card board and he made a template.  Now we have a good location to
mark before drilling the holes.

VW should have hired the dimple man that Audi let go. The Audi 5000s had 2
small dimples in the bumper as a location to drill the holes for the tag
bracket.

Another way VW saves money at my expense.

Don