Re: Hot mirrors

>Franklin, The mirror temperature is 102 degrees. The factory made a change
>in Jan 97 and rewired to be on all the time. They feel the increased
>temperature will not harm anything and will keep the mirrors from fogging
>up.
AH, but they DO ...
   Ever seen an oldish car where the side mirrors have flaked? As in,
little
parts around the edges are the black/grey stuff behind the chrome-backed
glass? This happens to nearly all side mirrors with time. Heated mirrors,
however, develop this "erosion" earlier than non-heated mirrors,
especially
if you live in a cold climate. The heat simply weakens the glass and the
fixative which holds the glass to the plate backing, causing it to "chip."
Bummer, I know ... and I have heated mirrors. :(
-Tom
'84 JettaGLi <silver on blue (leatherette)>
'95 JettaGLX <black on black (leather)>
   with newly-colourmatched badges (minus the VR6 ones)

         /|     -=Thomas J. Boyer<cyng@lamere.net>=-     |\
         \|      -=Tsaim Kurros<pen.mip.net 4000>=-      |/