Re: FW: doh! -Reply

-- BEGIN included message

GPS uses 24 satellites, and yes it *is* one way. However, there is
nothing to keep them from transmitting all this data to another
satellite for data collection.

The hardware required for sufficient instantaneous fixes and accuracy
would certainly be cost-prohibitive at this time. The GPS I use at work
has submeter accuracy on an instantaneous fix and costs more than $10k!
Weather/cloud cover also wreaks havoc with even the expensive units.
Also, there is no way to get an accurate altitude reading on an
instantaneous fix. Surveyors use carrier-phase hardware which requires a
several-minute residence time to get an accurate altitude.

Intro to GPS is now over. If anyone has any questions, email me
privately :)

My question is, *who* is going to be monitoring the thousands/millions
of cars with this crap onboard?  Most of this sounds like utter garbage.
If it *does* happen, I'll just have to keep driving my "antiquated"
--->GTI VR6<---

Tom M. Matthews
tmmatthews@worldnet.att.net
'95 GTI VR6

>If any of you knows *anything* about GPS, it is a system for determining
>position relative to several (17?) satellites around the globe.  It is a
>one-way system, i.e. the satellites transmit their info to the receivers
>(GPS units, etc), not the other way around.  The part in this message about
>the car talking back to *anything* is complete BS and speculation.  I have
>heard before that there would be some GPS integration into the next-gen
OBD,
>but nothing as ridiculous as this.  I *think* GPS can also determine
>altitude as well, so possibly the ECU could benefit from some knowledge of
>the car's altitude.  The other thing I heard (more speculation) was that
the
>GPS functionality could be used to verify that emissions related work was
>being performed at an *authorized* service location, determined by
Lat/Long.
>> Also, the new OBD-III will be hooked into GPS.  It records top speed
>> information, location on whereabouts, and also be hooked into the OBD-III
>> chip.

-- END included message