Bose Stereo on 98 GLX

  I have a 1998 GLX which I just purchased (first Jetta was a GL)..anyways
away from performance modifications (whole other subject)...I wanted to know
if there is a way to replace JUST the head unit and keep the Bose amplifier
(under the rear deck), and the stock CD changer...I already called
Crutchfield, and they have a wiring harness adapter, but there is no 'OEM
integration' adapters that they carry for some of the other cars.
  Any tips/ideas/anyone done it? Again, all I want to do is replace the
stock head unit (Bose/made by Panasonic), and keep the amp, CD changer. Will
another Panasonic head unit work?
  Thanks, all your comments/help was great with the chip recommendations
before..