RE: Locking Gas Flap

At 8:19 AM -0400 8/3/98, Brian Wanamaker wrote:
>The locking mechanism HAS been removed from the '98 models. A couple of
>months ago someone posted a very good, but very lengthy, procedure for
>re-installing the locking mechanism. Looks like its barely worth the
>effort.

Yes, all 97's (that I know of) have had the locking fuel door pin removed.
Apparently VWOA was getting calls from frantic VW owners that they couldn't
refuel their cars because the gas door was locked, and they didnt' have a
key!

(The way it's supposed to work is that if all four of your doors are
unlocked, the pneumatic (vacuum) system will unlock your gas door as when
you unlock all four doors)

97's and newer Jettas (maybe even 96's too) are missing the locking door
pin and mechanism. To install this (cool) mod, follow the instructions at
http://kublai.khan.org/Jetta/fueldoor.html

There's only one caveat-- it turns out some of the newer Jetta A3 bodies
may not have the proper mounting brackets built into the body of the car--
if so, you'll have to find some mechanism to mount the locking pin to the
side of the car. You should investigate what the mounting brackets look
like in a car that has them, and see if your car has it too. (The way I
would do this is go to your local wrecking yard, and see if they'll let you
poke around in the trunk of an older A3 Jetta for a while)

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX

(Bilstein HD/Neuspeed Sofsport coming Aug. 3rd
 Mintex Redbox Brake Pads coming Aug. 3rd
 K & N Drop-in Filter coming Aug. 3rd)