Re: What To Buy?

Gentlemen:

First, if you have a family the Jetta has the most room in the back seat.
The Ford and the Audi are tight depending how big your passengers are, they
may not fit well at all.   When I sat in both cars (A4 & Ford STV Contour)
they were very cramp in the back seat.  The Jetta was roomy and comfortable
with enough headroom for two adults, I cannot say that for the Ford or A4.
The A4 is a wonderful car and well equipped.  If money is no object and you
aren't concerned about rear passengers, I'd pick the A4 2.8.  Quality wise
the A4 is top notch in fit and finish, and I understand based upon recent
tests very reliable.
My Jetta has been reliable, however, I have had a few bugs to iron out but
none of them affecting the operation of the vehicle.
I just think VW could do better.  The Jetta GLX is a bargain for the price
and performance.  But the A4 2.8 has the better suspension of the two.   The
Ford STV Contour priced out higher than the Jetta GLX, and I think the Jetta
was better equipped than the Ford, also more vroom under the hood.  I
believe the Jetta is the quickest of all three vehicles.   When I travel to
England I usually always rent a Ford Mondeo, which is equivalent to the Ford
Contour here.  But I must admit I like the Mondeo in England better, I think
it handles better and has nicer appointments inside than the America version.

So there you have my unexpurgated view and experience of the aforementioned
automobiles.   If you have any questions drop me a line.

Bob

- ----------------------------------------

At 10:05 PM 9/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>forget the Ford, Audi is a good family car but, the Jetta GLX is fun to drive!
>
>Chris
>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>I've been shopping for a new car and am down to 3 choices, 97 Jetta GLX,
>>98 Audi A4 2.8, and 98 Ford SVT Contour.Any thoughts on the reliability
>>of the Jetta or the competition would be appreciated.
>>
>>Bill Schaffel
>>Raleigh, NC

Robert J. Malinka
Lockheed Martin  Corporation
Lockheed Martin Fairchild Systems
300 Robbins Lane, Syosset, NY. 11791-6009
USA

Telephone: 516.349.4814
Facsimile: 516.931.8906
E-Mail: rmalinka@fairchild.lmco.com