Re: weak coils and bad plug wires on 95 GLXs

S. Joseph Mann wrote:

> "The '95's have weak coils and bad plug wires, so these both failed when the plugs shorted-out."
>
> Do we know of a difference in ignition systems between the 95 and later models??  If so, what is a common remedy (and it's cost)
> for this problem??

When I had my coil-pack and plug wires replaced, the coil was covered under the 50,000 mile emissions warranty, but most of
the diagnostic time and the plug wires were not (don't ask :-(  ).  In an effort to twist my arm into paying for the
remainder of the bill, the dealer informed me up front that the coil pack retails for around $500!!!!  I don't know if this
is the case, as I did not pay for it, so I did not price it myself.  The plug wires varied between dealers, and ranged from
$90 to $110.  The new part number for the wires are for RED ones.  Maybe steam cleaning would result in faster evaporation,
resulting in fewer moisture related problems??

Shaun Farnham
Black 95