Re: My CD-Changer is Busted

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, S. Joseph Mann wrote:

> Lorin,
>
> The tab on the cassette door means it is a Clarion.  If you can't get VW to do
> anything about it, you can pick up a Clarion CDC635 for about $250 and just
> replace the one you have.

After I went through 5 VW/Clarion CD changers, each one breaking, I said
the hell with it and sent the expensive boat anchor back to VW with a nice
letter saying that if I have had five different CD changers installed in
my car in 12 months and they still don't work, I don't need it.  I didn't
bitch at them, just made my point.  Customer service was cooperative
overall.  They gave me a call a couple of days later and said they would
give me a refund for the changer.  I had the CD changer and "Premium"
headunit installed in an Audi, and I wasn't really looking forward to
removing countless screws and panels getting the cable out for the CD
changer.  Even though I didn't send the cable back with the changer, they
still gave me $600.  You are going to be much more successful with
Customer Service when you write a letter.

Bryan Schmidt
95 Black GTI VR6