Re: Factory Changer vs Head Unit

> Vaso Bovan wrote:
> > Incidentally, contrary to most writers think, the VW Premium head unit
> DOES have line outs for a separate amplifier. You have to know where > to
look.

> Call me clueless! I had my MB Quart/PPI setup installed at the same
> place that did your system install. Where are these line outs? I
> have a 1997 Jetta GLX (11/96 build date) with the factory premium
> sound system (Clarion) and they couldn't find them, so they resorted
> in using a converter.
>
> Thanks!
>
> //VA

I also think that the Clarion-made Premium units don't have the pre-amp
outputs, but give me details if I'm wrong.  I do know that the earlier
Panasonic-made Premium units (like in my ex-'93 Passat and my mother's '94
Jetta GLS) have low level "R", "L", and "-" terminals in the CD changer's
10 pin connection.  Since the Panasonic changer only uses 7 wires, these 3
are open in the connector and you can add the wires (with the proper
terminals) to get low level outputs (like I did when I put the Premium and
changer into my soon-to-be-ex-'90 non-Bose Audi 200 Wagon which has front
speakers driven by the unit and rear speakers driven by a separate amp).
BTW, if you don't have a changer, you can get the plug housing (part # 357
035 447 B, I think) separately.  Keep in mind that these ouputs aren't
controlled by the fader (and maybe not even the balance, but I'm not sure).
 I haven't taken out my '97 Bose Premium unit yet, but from what I know so
far it uses the same 8 pin plug that is the speaker level outputs on other
units as the low level outputs for the amp.  Anyone want to bet that bad
things would happen if you plugged an older unit into a Bose car?

Chris