Re: Gas Pedal Hazard/New member.

<<
 Hello:

 The other day my wife was cruzing to work when the gas pedal in our '96 GLX
 automatically accelerated (pedal went to the floor) by itself.  Has anyone
 ever experienced this problem in their GLX??...

 Mike
 Black '96 GLX Stock

Hi all

This is my first post to the list after being on lurker mode for a while and
yes Mike I have experienced a similar problem. I also have a Black Stock GLX,
95 though, and what I experienced, as strange as it may sound, was the cruise
control reengaging if I hit a bump in the road. For example, say I was
cruising usually at a high rate of speed :) down the highway with the CC on.
If I braked for whatever reason say slow traffic, the CC would disengage
which is normal. However, if  I hit a bump in the road  like on a bridge
joint the CC would reengage on its own. The first time it happened it scared
the living ***** out of me and everyone in the car. What I now do is 1) not
use the CC as much and 2) when I do if I have to slow down for any reason I
will turn it off altogether which indeed is a hassle. Of course I took it to
2 different dealers but they gave me the CND excuse. My car is now out of
warranty so it'll stay that way. Then again NY doesn't have many streets were
you can use the damned thing. I regret to say that I have been very
dissapointed with my Jetta mainly because of all the things that have gone
wrong with it. I won't bore you with the details but I surely glad I found
this mailing list. Thanks to all involved in setting it up.

Anyway I have a few questions and would appreciate if someone could respond:

1) Does anyone know the procedure to replace the instrument panel light. One
of mine is out and I was trying to remove the inside panel cover but it won't
come off from the left side.

2)I'd like to know on average the tread life of the stock GA's and any
recommendations for a better substitute. At 36k mine seem to be on the verge
of needing to be replaced.

3) My Jetta's idle is somewhat erratic and will fluctuate even after it has
been running for a while. Is this normal?

And yes, for whoever asked about moldings recently, the driver side molding
came off a week after a major overhaul to my transmission at 9000 miles. I
can tell you I was not a happy camper.

That's all for now folks
Jose