Brake feel

I'm not real happy with my brake feel. I recently replaced the front pads
with Redboxen. The stopping ability is great (I thought I'd never get them
bedded in!). My mechanic showed me the old fluid which looked like camp
coffee (brown with little chunks) so it was a good thing I did it but the
pedal still has more travel than I like. My wife's Pathfinder has a way
stiffer pedal. I ride motorcycles too and my LeMans (it has steel lines)
has about 1/2" freeplay and my GLX has around 2" or more. Is that normal?

Lorin
'97 Newton MP2K
'95 Jetta GLX
'77 Moto Guzzi LeMans