Re: Chip in paint ? and cargo net !

I have an idea for your chip.  tape off the chip with masking tape from an
automotive store.  next get a pencil and cut a small piece of sand paper  to
fit the end of the eraser.  next sand down the chip removing the rust.  the
more carefully you tape the chip off the better the results will be.  next
you want to clean off the chip with a soap and water solution.  you want to
use soap because soap will remove all the wax from the area which will allow
the paint to adhere better to the metal.  after rinsing off the chip dry the
area completely.  this is very important step to remove all the water from
the chip and the metal, allow a lot of time for this.  next you want to get
some touch up paint from the dealer that matches you paint color.  do not
use the brush that comes with it because it is not fine enough.  you want to
use a number 2 artist paint brush which will be really fine tip brush.
shake the paint for a very long time to get the best color match.  a good
5-10 min shake will give good results.  if the chip is not still taped off
do so again making sure that it is taped as close to the chip as possible.
using the brush apply a thin layer of paint on the chip.  this will usually
cover the chip completely.  you may notice that the painted chip is higher
level than the original paint, this is normal.  try to cover the chip with
the least amount of paint.  you do not want a big mound of paint on it
because you will have to sand too much off and will take too much time.  you
must allow for total drying for the next few steps.  if the paint is not
hard enough yet it will jus smear so give it time.  next you want to get a
fine to extra fine sand paper.  the finer you go the longer it will take you
to sand down to the level of the original paint but it will give you less
scuff marks.  you want to wet sand the chip till you get it down to the
level of the original paint.  the more water the better this will help for a
better finish.  after you have sanded down to where you want it to be then
you can take a fine cut cleaner, I RECOMMEND MEGUIARS FINE CUT CLEANER FOR
THIS STEP or polishing compound to smooth it out.  just think of it as a
really fine sand paper that will remove any imperfections from the sanding.
next you want to get a pure polish,  I USE MEGUIARS PROFESSIONAL SHOW CAR
GLAZE FOR THIS STEP, jus follow the directions on the bottle.  the glaze
which is a polish will return the shine back to the paint after all the fine
sanding you do.  next you want to apply a wax to the area to protect it.  I
used a lot of car waxes and polishes.  I prefer the meguiars line of
products for they give the best results.  the other products may be one step
but do not give the best shine and lasting results as the meguiars products.
the above products can be used in the same order to detail your car so they
wont go to waste.  it takes long but the results are amazing.  the fine cut
cleaner removes any imperfections and swirl marks from your paint.  the show
car glaze polishes using oils to moisturize the paint to prevent it from
drying out and it gives the paint the wet look.  if you have a dark colored
paint this will help it look darker without adding any pigments to the
paint.  the professional hi-tech yellow wax works great and is the easiest
wax to put on and remove.  using these products will help you car look much
better.  I've used it on a 90' 240sx the car looks brand new and it gets
comments all the time for a car of that age.  I've also detail may friends
and family's cars with the same products and they have switched. consider
detailing the whole car while you wait for that paint to dry so you are not
just waiting around for it.  you will be used a good part of the day to do
the whole car but it will be worth it trust me.  I plan to use these
products on my 97' jetta glx (black).  if you have any questions for me
email me back

m.a.