Cold Air Induction

Message text written by INTERNET:jettaglx@igtc.COM
> Igloo (the cooler people) have a self cooling cooler (or warming) that
works by air
being blown across a cooling chip.  My company happens to represent Igloo=
's
commercial division, and I have considered getting some chips and mountin=
them inside a modified K&N airbox. =

        Up until now I have not bothered, because I figured it really
wouldn't
make a difference due to the amount of intake air, but maybe I'll try it,=

with all of the current experimentation going on. One chip in one cooler
can make the cooler 40 degrees cooler than outside temp. Now if I mount 2=

or 3 chips in the box and make them come on only with the engine, no fan =
is
needed like the cooler because the air is already being pulled in. There
would be no ram effect at all, but there would be active cooling, similar=

to someones idea to hook up the AC to the induction. Only problem there i=
that with the AC running you'll lose more hp than you will gain.

I assume you're talking about Peltier Effect cooling. I had a similar ide=
while I was in school to use a Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube. This is an
interesting "no moving parts"  refrigerator that takes compressed air and=

splits it into hot and cold fractions. My professor quickly dashed all
enthusiasm by showing with a thermodynamic analysis that it would not wor=
k.
The bottom line is that both these effects are far too inefficient to to =
do
what we want. "Inefficient" in this case means that too much work goes in=
creating the effect so that there is a net horsepower loss.
  =

 =