Re: Pick your fluid?

On 11/18/97 1:49PM, in message
<199711182147.NAA28874@procyon.pmc-sierra.bc.ca>, Jeff Newton
<newton@pmc-sierra.bc.ca> wrote:

> I'm trying Mobil 1 15w50.  Everyone seems to praise Mobil but what weight to use?
> I live in the PacNorthwest so the temp doesn't go very low.  I figured because
> the VR6 runs so hot, I'd go with the highest rated Mobil 1.  Cost me $6.50/ltr.
> (thats Canadian).

I live in Southern California, and run Mobil 1 15-50 in the summer and 10-30 the rest of
the year... sure our engine runs hot but 10-30 ain't exactly 0W-5 and it can more than
handle any heat the VR6 will throw at it..

> Transmission:
> All I hear is Redline.  Is it that much better than the stock stuff?  Price?
> Anyone know a Canadian distributor for the stuff?  Impressions?

This is the second car I've had MT90 in.. great stuff.. go for it.

> Wipers:
> C'mon, there can't be that much difference in wiper fluids!!

Almost true.. anything EXCEPT that swill they put in there at the factory is fine.. the stuff
they pour in Puebla is NASHTY SHTUFF!!!  Ever get a whiff of it?  Ever take a look at
your paint if it is allowed to dry on the car?  I don't know what's in there, but it's about
100x stronger than it needs to be.. if you still have the stock fluid in your car, wait till the
next time it rains and run all of it outta there and fill with something milder!

- --
Kevin Collins
collinsk@pacbell.net
'97 GTI VR6