Re: VR6 30,000 mile maintenance

Jay Saathoff wrote:

> Whoa!  I crossed 30k one month ago in my '96 GTIvr6.  Central VW/Audi in
> Dallas quoted me "around $220" over the phone, which I reduced a bit
> with a coupon.  They changed oil, plugs, various/assorted small stuff,
> topped off the fluids, and generally tuned whatever was required
> (probably not much!).  We both felt the spark plug wires were fine, so
> those did not get changed.
>
> That $600 quote may have been assuming you needed everything possible
> replaced.  Mine was probably cheap because the wires didn't need
> replacing, but I still can't believe stock VW spark plug wires and
> installation could cost you an extra $300-$400.  I would definitely shop
> around.

Gentlemen,

There is nothing to tune up on the engine. Its a motronic fuel injection, the only set
up you do initially would be to set up the timing.  After that it adjusts itself from
the ECU.  Plugs have to be replaced, and of course the filters and lubrication points
such as doors, locks, and inspection of the engine and underbody (CV joints, hoses and
the lot). Thats what your really paying for, the labor, which varies according to where
you live.  Where I live they charge $70/hr.  It wouldn't take to long to get to some of
the numbers that have been quoted.

Bob