RE: VR6 30,000 mile maintenance

Whoa!  I crossed 30k one month ago in my '96 GTIvr6.  Central VW/Audi in
Dallas quoted me "around $220" over the phone, which I reduced a bit
with a coupon.  They changed oil, plugs, various/assorted small stuff,
topped off the fluids, and generally tuned whatever was required
(probably not much!).  We both felt the spark plug wires were fine, so
those did not get changed.

That $600 quote may have been assuming you needed everything possible
replaced.  Mine was probably cheap because the wires didn't need
replacing, but I still can't believe stock VW spark plug wires and
installation could cost you an extra $300-$400.  I would definitely shop
around.