The Elk Test

In Europe, don't they have a test to see how well a car can swerve
(assumedly to miss an elk . . ) Called the Elk Test?

Well, I got to try it out on my way home from work.  As many of you know
(at least here in the East) deer season is quite close and the dim-witted
creatures come closer into populated areas.
	I was about 1/2 mile from home, it was dark, and I came across a rather
sizeable buck on the right side of the road, deep in the bushes and was
trying to go in deeper.  I noticed him when I was about 75 feet away.  I
checked the brakes, but had no chance to stop in time.
	He swirled around and was going to try to make back across the road!
There was no way he was going to make it out in front of me, but he might
run into the side of the car. I swerved hard, but didn't hear a thud.  I
pulled into the garage at home to check the right side to make sure there
was no damage.
	What did I find?  A nice trail of deer snot from the right rear door
handle to the tail light! (no lie!)

	It doesn't come any closer than that.

	The GLX handled the emergency manuver with very little fuss and the
chassis never came unglued.  It sure is nice to know it's there when you
really need it.

Just watch those wooded areas this fall.

						Dave

'97 GLX (black, complete with noseprint)