BOSE CD-Changer in 98 GLX WARNING

I got the $99 Panasonic changer from Best Buy to connect to my 98 Bose GLX
system as many have suggested on this list and Usenet. Ok.. after a few
weeks of frustration... here is the final word on the 98 Bose System. It is
a completely different head unit and amp/speaker system than previous
years.

The plan was to buy the $99.00 Best Buy changer over the $600 dealer
option, order an adapter cable from Crutchfield for $15, plug it in to the
factory system and save a pile of dough.

Shoulda worked... but they redesigned the head unit. What I found out was,
it is still manufactured by Panasonic --- and the changer will
theoretically still work --- but the pin configuration on the cable has
changed making the available adapters useless on 98s. I spoke with the
manufacturer of the cable (AMPS/Peripheral) and they said a new adapter was
being designed and should be available Q1 98. Great!  ..ugh. I begged for
the pinout diagram, hoping my days of enjoying cd-s in the car was as near
as the time it takes to heat up my soldering iron... but no go. He flat out
refused after admiting he had the information in front of him. Again...
ugh. So I must choose --  to wait, try to figure it out from VW diagrams,
or return it all in favor of a new Pioneer 50 disc changer.

Hopefully this information will help other 98 owners wishing to make the
same mods to the factory Bose system. I would still urge people NOT to buy
the factory changer for $600.00. For $20 less you can buy a Pioneer 50 disc
changer and wireless remote control unit that taps into your factory system
via an FM modulator. Spend $300 more and get an entirely new system with
much better features than the factory system.

</rant>

Jason Schreiber
98 Jetta GLX. 2,100 miles
95 Jetta GLS 72,000 miles