RE: performance mods

The throttle body is what controls the air flow into the intake manifold for the
motor.  In US cars it is restricted, ie. it isn't as large and doesn't allow as
much air to flow.  The european cars have a larger throttle body that alows for
better flow.  The larger throttle bodys (T-body) are available from Nuespeed,
Advanced Motor Sport, etc.  Any T-body for the VR6 will work, I don't think
there is much difference between brands, just price.  Shrick was the first to
produce performance camshafts for the VR6 and now they are also availible from
Abt, and TT.  What a cam shaft allow for is changing the profile of the valves
opening and closing.  A high duration cam shaft (ie. high numbered 268, 276
etc.) means that the cam will hold the valve open longer.  This is necessary for
power at higher RPMs. Cam shafts will increase horse power at the high end of
the RPMs, at the cost of reduced hp at the lower RPM's, and a rough (lopey)
idle.  Cam shafts can totally transform a motor, making it feel like a
completely different motor.  So.... cams for the VR6 exist in 260 and 268.  The
260 will be milder, providing modest power increases at higher RPM, without much
loss in low RPM and only slightly changing the idle.  A 268 cam will really
boost high RPM power, noticeably decrease low end and give a bumpy idle.
HOWEVER, these are still street cams and will not be as drastic as racing cams.
They are a great boost for a motor.  The VR6 was probably purposely under camed
for emmissions reasons (love that EPA).  The addition of a cam will really wake
it up.  Biggest draw back is the price!  While the VR6 cams are $1100 the 8v
cars cams can be had for $199. Not really fair.  So I'm waiting for the prices
to come down.
andy