Re: Spax and Wheel Cleaner

Jay,

I have probably tried just about every wheel cleaner out there. I have a
'95 GLX with those infamous BBS mesh wheels with the removable center caps:
they look great and suck to clean. I have used P21s and Zymol's new wheel
cleaners and they still don't cut through the gunk as well as EagleOne
Wheel Cleaner for "ALL TYPES" (they make a bunch of different kinds for Mag
Wheels, Wire Wheels, etc) You probably still need to use a soft brush to
get all the brake dust out, but this stuff seems to work the best.

As far as suspension goes, there are a group of five people here in the
Chicago Volkswagen Organization (CVO) that went in on a group purchase for
the Neuspeed Suspension Kit through New Dimensions. This kit contains front
and rear sway bars (25mm and 28mm), Neuspeed valved Bilstein shocks,
Neuspeed Lowering Springs (1"-1.5" drop), and a Neuspeed Stress Bar. This
kit is normally around $1100 (you are basically getting the stress bar for
free by buying the whole kit).

There are several ways to spec this kit though. You can get Boge Progas
Shocks instead of the Bilsteins making the kit about $250 dollars less.
Also, Neuspeed makes a spring called the Softsport that only drops the car
.5"-1" for those that may be worried about lowering the car too much. It is
also worth mentioning that the Neuspeed valved Bilsteins are currently back
ordered (and have been for the last 8 weeks (!).

Chris Collier on this list has the full SPAX suspension setup (springs and
shocks/struts) His car is a good 2.5"-3" drop (LOW). The SPAX shocks are
also adjustable. He can tell you more about his setup.

What it all boils down to is what you want to achieve with your car. If you
are going to Autocross with it you may want to have the adjustable SPAX or
Koni's. If you are just looking to improve street performance you have a
lot of options (there are more suspension products not mentioned above sold
by other tuners as well).

I haven't done any suspension work to my car yet (this is the first car out
of the last three that I didn't modify within 6 months of owning it!). I am
really trying to sort out what setup I will use. I am leaning more toward
something a little less harsh (wonderful Chicago roads...). I am going to
wait till I can ride/drive someones car that I am happy with.

Good Luck,

- -jamie

jamie vondruska                               http://www.synrgsm.com
jamie@obs.net                                    Oak Brook, Illinois

'95 Red Jetta GLX                          "Go big or stay home"  :)