Re: strut tie bar

At 4:56 AM -1000 5/11/97, Dave Rizzolo wrote:
>Is there a difference between differing bar configurations, ala Neuspeeds
>claim ? I am leaning towards Eibach's bar based on aesthetics, I like the
>industrial looks of the thing, but if the Neuspeed bar is better...

I too was looking at the Eibach bar because of it's looks, but because of
it's price I got something that looks extremely similar.  Instead I got an
OMP stressbar.  From a trustworthy source I found out that OMP makes the
Oettinger stressbars.

TurboTim from ND made a reply at Jan's page and it goes as follows:

From: Kevin Peterson
I'd like to ask for your help in answering Eric's question on the ABD
stress bar compared to the other manufacturers. I told him about the
Eibach stress bar that I have and I like it, but I have never tried any
other bars. Maybe Tim could help me out on this. Tim?

FROM: Eric Bateman <ebateman@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu>
I've never seen one, (Eibach) but I have a good picture in my mind from
your description. One thing I've always wondered is: is there a hinge at
the joint between the crossmember and the cylindrical joints? If there
is, this would be a weakness in side flex. It also seems to me that the
two bars on the ABD are in the proper places to stiffen up the chassis
torsionally. Now keep in mind that I haven't taken many engineering
classes yet. I would like to hear the opinion of someone in the business
who caries both types of bars, so we could get an unbiased opinion. I
want your car!

Turbotim replies:

Eric I am not an engineer and I am sure those guys can give you 5 pages
of technical info on the dynamics of strut tie-bars but my belief is
that they all pretty much work the same. What you pay for is different
materials and different quality. The Neuspeed one is inexpensive and does
the job. The Matter (Eibach) bar is very nice looking and easy to remove for
service but is also very expensive. So like many products out there you
are paying alot for name and a different class of product when a cheaper
one works just as well. Many people want something different and do not
mind paying a little more. But as for one doing a better job than another
I would say no. You could not feel the difference between a
ugly cheap bar like ABD's or a pretty polished aluminum Eibach bar.

**TT**

For more info check out
http://alicudi.usc.edu/~jan/vw/Suspension/Front_Stress_Bars

Hope this helps.