Re: Initial impressions of my new '97 GLX

Yesterday, Paul M. Moriarty said:

> Just took delivery on my new Jetta (green/beige lthr) yesterday.  My inital
> impressions:
>
> You either like the new green metallic or you don't... I do... :-)
>
> I have the new Bose sound system.  However, something is misconnected
> between the radio and the antenna as reception is non-existent... sigh... if
> anybody has any suggestions before taking back to the dealer for the day,
> lemme know.
>
> Also, anybody know what CD players work with the new Bose system?
>
> Oh yeah.. impressions... fit and finish are very good.  I have no nits to
> pick (yet :-).  Throttle response is smooth and the rack and pinion is
> precise enough for me.  Road feel is good.  I'm anxious to get the car
> through it's break-in period so I can really put it through it's paces.
>
> That's all for now!
>
> - -> Paul <-
>
> '97 Jetta GLX
> '94 BMW 540iA

Wow, I almost bought the Green one from Carlsen. We could'a been twins... ;-)

>From what I heard, the Bose system was delayed/recalled because of antenna
problems. My sticker price had "Delete Bose System" on it and the "Premium"
system installed.

I couldn't wait the extra two weeks for the Bose system, so instead I've
just finished replacing my "Premium" Audio system (Clarion) with an Alpine
head unit and CD-Changer in the Trunk. As soon as I did that, the AM
reception went to hell. It became very fuzzy and won't scan for *any*
stations. Since I live pretty close to a 50,000 watt station that carries
most of the west coast, I figured something was wrong...

We tested the new headunit with a $10 antenna and it worked fine, then we
re-tested the antenna with the stock headunit - no problems.

It turns out that the Fuba antennas that VW is using have a history of
problems. (I can point you at FAQs if you're interested in the past) They
have two seperate mini amps for AM & FM and up until around 1995 they had a
seperate cable running down that needed to be plugged into the Power
Antenna lead on after market units. But that wire is integrated in '96-97
models. (Hence the problems)

So far, I've worked with people at the Installer, My Dealer, New
Dimensions, Crutchfield and scoured the net for info. It now turns out that
the adapter *may* have changed again between '96 and '97 models. I hope to
have this resolved this week.

BTW- The stock speakers are very nice once you put a bit of oomph into them.

Jeffrey J. Hoover                                  <mailto:jjh@macdude.com>
<http://www.macdude.com>                         Candy White '97 Jetta GLX