Subject: Clutch Prob
Author:  Non-HP-kilpatri (kilpatri@cs.ucdavis.edu) at HP-PaloAlto,mimegw6
Date:    6/26/97 11:19 AM

I've got a '97 GLX, (black w/ black leather) almost 4 months old with
about 5300 miles on it.

I went and had it waxed this morning (is it me, or does the paint scratch
easy?) and then when I got in, I noticed something was different with my
clutch.  About 75% of the way in there is a "rough" spot, and at this
rough spot there is a sort of "rattle" - it's not a harmonic rattle
(happens when the car is on or off, and regardless of the gear it is in if
any) but it is related to how the clutch is moving.  I know this is a bad
description, but it's the best I can do.  I am driving up to a dealer at
lunch, but I thought I'd send something out to the list first.  If the
dealer I'm going to (Volkswagen of Hayward) says it can wait, then I'll
get it fixed next Tuesday the 1st when I go in for my 5k service (I'm
getting the service done at Carlsen in Palo Alto).

Also, my brakes squeel at slow speeds (maybe at high speeds - the windows
are closed then), should that be happeneing at 5K?  I couldn't have worn
them down that quick, could I?  I haven't even started autocrossing yet.
:-)

Thanks,
John

**************John Andrew Kilpatrick*kilpatri@cs.ucdavis.edu*******************
*  "Tsuki ni kawatte...oshiokiyo!"  |   I do not speak for CS, UC Davis, or   *
*    Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon    |   anyone else.   You have been warned.  *
********************http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~kilpatri/*******************