Re: Extended warranty

I guess you meant bad engineering in VW's. Yes there are example in cars
past, but it hasn't been things that are major catastrophes - well maybe
the heater core saga could be considered one, and the oil burners of the
late 70's another. The factory generally fixed these problems for free
anyhow.

The only models I might consider the extended warranties on are the VR6
cars due to the fact that the head gaskets can go bad, and things in
general are expensive. If you aren't the original owner you only get 50k of
factory protection so there's another scenario where the extended might be
worth it, or if you run the mileage way high in a short amount of time. The
4 cyl models are fairly bulletproof and I think an extended warranty on a 4
cyl Golf or Jetta unnecessary. If you own any new car and only drive
average or less mileage and maintain regularly the dealer should advise
that the extra warranty isn't necessary.

As with anything else, the price of these things is always negotiable.
These warranties are a total cash cow for the dealers and insurance
companies.
John