Re: Mobil 1 Oil filter

On Jun 12,  4:45pm, ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: Mobil 1 Oil filter
>      We fear change.......
>
>      Yes, just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that
>      break-in oil doesn't exit.  However, VW used to come with break in
>      oil, I think they stopped this in 1996.  My 1995 and earilier VR6
>      motors came with a different oil in it from the factory than you can
>      get over the counter.  The factory oil didn't have detergents and
>      other additives in it.  It was designed to let the seals fill with oil
> swell to fill gaps, and allow the piston rings to seat properly.  I was told
> SPCIFICALLY by the dealer NOT to change my oil until the first (then
recomended)
> 7500 miles (now 5,000miles)

I have a '95 GLX, which had the break-in oil as well.  When I purchased the car
a couple of years ago, I didn't know much about automotive mechanics, oils,
etc...  Since then, I've taken several classes towards ASE certification  (out
of interest -- I'm an engineer by profession).

Anyway, knowing what I know now, it is a good idea to follow the manufacturer's
recommendation, which in my case, would have been to leave in the break-in oil.

HOWEVER, after purchasing my car, my dealer sent me a letter, "thanking me for
my business", and offering my first oil change at 1000 miles for free.  So I
took him up on it.  IE., break in oil was only in for 1000 miles.

Now, I'm not having any problems with my car resulting from the early oil
change (Thank God!).  But, since then, the dealer has proven themselves to be
incompetent.  Kinda wish I would've followed VW's recommendation.

Dave