stereo upgrades

Joe,

Are you going to be upgrading the "Bose" stereo? If so there are issues you
should know of the Cruthfield has no information on.

I just tried to add a Eclipse head unit to my car and found it could not be
done because of the factory amp. Something technical about gain and the
chance of burning it out... The way around it was to use a fm modulator
which reduces sound quality and costs ~$100. You could chose to do both the
head unit and a new amp but I don't have a problem with the sound quality,
I just wanted a CD player so it seemed obnoxious to spend money on an amp
to replace one that sounds ok.

Another find was that the pre-run cd changer cable will not work with
aftermarket changers. If you are planning one of these you will not be able
to "plug-and-play" but will need to run a new cable from the head unit with
the required DIN adapter ($25- $40 depending on where you buy it).

The Bose headunit is unlike the other VW units in that it does not use a
2-pin DIN tool to remove it.  The needed tool is flat, about 3/8" across
and is inserted above the scan and forward (>) buttons to release the
springs to slide the unit out. It is not as easy as it sounds.

You probably know this but if it is a Bose system, your head unit is a
Panasonic, not a Clarion. The comparable cd changer is a Panasonic
CX-DP-601EUC.

Good luck with your install

			   Dave Rizzolo
			dv8studio@ids.net

	     "Designers solve other people's problems,
		     artists create their own."