Re: Ignition Survey

97 GLX - 10,100 miles
I had it happen about 20 times where I could NOT get the key to turn in the
ignition. I sat and played with the stupid steering wheel and shifter and
everything else TRYING to make it turn. I came close to forcing it.
Sometimes, I've sat there for TWENTY MINUTES trying... trying... trying!!!!
I told this to the dealer (Apollo VW/Subaru... now DAY APOLLO - Coraopolis,
PA) and they said it just needed lubricated. BULL!!! I'm sorry, but just two
days ago, I sat for 20 minutes again before it finally worked. My other keys
did NOT work either.

So far, I have had no trouble with the trunk or doors. I have never unlocked
the seat thing.

HEY VW!!! FIX MY CAR!!!!
Thom Peluso

At 10:16 AM 7/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>     ignition tumbler; I wanted to ask the whole list if ANYONE has had ANY
>     SIMILAR problem related to the ignition tumbler, the keys, the door
>     lock tumblers the hatch or the trunk or the interior keyed parts like
>     the consoles locking flap?
>
>     If anyone has any info about problems like this please share it with
>     the list and or mail responses privately to Andrew or myself.
>
>     ANDREW_ATWELL@HP.com
>
>     chels@wbfa.com
>
>     Much appreciated.  Let's hope it doesn't start happening to everyones
>     cars.
>
>     Surgeon Generals Warning!
>
>     Beware of sticky key tumblers. They will eventually fail.
>
>     Symptoms:       Key will not turn in ignition?
>
>     Key turns but Car will not start?
>
>     Key turns only to "on " position, then sticks.
>
>     Key stuck in ignition with car running?
>

>     Key stuck in door lock?
>
>     Key tumbler pulls out of the door handle?
>
>     Key stuck in the door handle tumbler?
>

>     All the above IGNITION tumbler problems happened to my  '95 GLX, and
>     at least 2 others that we know of. It's fun to sit in your beloved
>     wheels and play with the key for 10 minutes trying to start the car so
>     you can drive it (not tow it) to the dealer. I had to have EVERY
>     tumbler on my GLX replaced so the keys would match. Mine was under
>     warranty.
>
>     If it's not covered under warranty, look to spend in excess of 300
>     bucks for the ignition work alone and then carry two nearly identical
>     keys one for the doors and one for the ignition.
>

>     Please respond to help Andrew and others with the similar symptoms
>     prove they are not alone out there.
>
>     -HELS

===                                                              ===
===       Thomas F. Peluso           Electronics Development     ===
===       Eaton Corporation          Technical & Quality Center  ===
===       170 Industry Drive         (412) 787-6500 - Ext. 6930  ===
===       Pittsburgh, PA 15275       (412) 787-6593 (fax)        ===
===                TPeluso@Elec_Lab.TechCtr.CH.ETN.COM           ===
===                     alternate addresses:                     ===
===         Thomas.Peluso@Industry.Net       TFP@tsil.net        ===
===     KF3V@W2XO.PA.USA.NOAM (packet)   FCC.EXAM@Industry.Net   ===
===       E-Mail for schedule of FCC Exam sessions for both      ===
===         FCC Commericial and Amateur Radio Licensing.         ===
===         HOMEPAGE ADDRESS = http://www.tsil.net/~tfp          ===