Message not deliverable

>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
>From: MVenture88@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Premium radio question
>
>In a message dated 7/9/97 2:35:35 AM,
>ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:
>
>>   Those of you that have saved your stock speakers and dumped the stock
>>     head unit for one with more power, etc I need your experiences.
>>
>>     I want to dump my head unit and replace it with a new head/changer
>>     unit.  I have heard of many people doing this and getting much better
>>     sound from their stock speakers, this sounds good to me.  I'm not out
>>     to win any "sound off" competitions, just better sound for a few
>>     bucks.  With out adding a power amp how much wattage built into a head
>>     unit is sufficient to get better sound out of the stock speakers?
>>     I am looking at a Sony that advertises 35x4 watts with a 13watt RMS.
>>     Will this do the trick?
>
>In general, most aftermarket head units will improve your stock speaker
>sound.  However it is a matter of quality and power.  The 35WX4 is
>misleading.  That is total peak power, the number you really need to look at
>is the RMS.  This indicates your continuous power output, or your actual
>practical power.  Look for 25Wx4 RMS or higher.  That won't win you any sound
>competitions, you really need amps and new speakers for that, but it will add
>the significant sound improvment that you crave.  I'd recommend an Alpine
>head unit.  Alpines have a wonderful reputation for spending their cash on
>R&D and not advertising.  This gives a better quality product with better
>sound.  You can probably get one for about $300 bucks or so, and that's a
>in-dash CD player.
>
>Anyway, hope this helps.  I'm, by no means, an audio expert.  Just an amateur
>audiophile.  My system won't win any contests, but sounds *DAMN* good,
>IMHO;-)
>
>Andrew
>96 1/2 Black GTI VR6 *with* Alpine 7827 in-dash CD, Alpine V-12 amp, and
>Boston Acoustic Pro 5.4 series separates

I installed an Alpine Head unit & CD-Changer with the stock (non-BOSE)
speakers and it's great!

*Except* The AM radio reception went all to hell. (Yeah, I've read the FAQ
on this, etc.) Joe at ND is 'investigating' the supposedly new FUBA antenna
for the late 96-97 cars becasuse the required voltage may have dropped.
I've tried three different adaptors, but none it very good. I can get KGO
(50,000 watts) but it's fuzzy. :-(

Jeffrey J. Hoover                                <mailto:jjh@macdude.com>
<http://www.macdude.com>                        Candy White '97 Jetta GLX
VR6oooom!                                              CA plate [MAN+CPU]