RE: CD Changers

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Drew Jennings wrote:

> I've also been considering replacing the head unit with an in-dash CD
> player.  Does anyone know if this is an easy conversion?  I still want
> to use all the Bose speakers and amps.  I have to make a decision soon
> becasue I *NEED* a CD player in this car!

I just checked with the stereo shop that did my car (97 GLX) which was
Auto Radio Stereo on Arden Way in Sacramento, CA.  Great shop.  The head
installer, Brett, *really* knows his stuff.  They really hard to work to
figure out how the alarm goes in my GLX and they didn't even charge me
extra. :-)

I have a Clarion 7375.  Originally the install was going to call for a set
of balanced differential adapaters.  But as it turns out, that isn't
necessary.  What you do is only hook up the positive speaker terminals.
Don't tie the negatives together, don't ground them at all!  (Or you'll
fry the Bose amps.)  That's all you have to do.

The 7375 was the biggest Clarion in-dash deck I could get that still had
an internal amp.  I know the 9375 is a "better" deck (more importantly it
has 4-volt outputs) but since there would be no way to interface it with
the Bose amps I didn't go for it.  And the 4 volt outs is the only
"performance" difference between the 7375 and the 9375.  (that and the
screen savers, but that would clash too much with my car. :-)  I still
have 6-channel preouts and the ability to control the DSP functions and
the like.  (And I think it looks cool. :-)

But more importantly, it SOUNDS incredible.  When I came to pick up my
car, the guys at the stereo shop were VERY impressed.  They said that all
I neede was a subwoofer, and I was set.  And they were right.  I don't
have a sub yet, but don't really need one.  The sound is VERY good, and
beats the crap out of my best friend's 328i. :-)

**************John Andrew Kilpatrick*kilpatri@cs.ucdavis.edu*******************
*  "Tsuki ni kawatte...oshiokiyo!"  |   I do not speak for CS, UC Davis, or   *
*    Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon    |   anyone else.   You have been warned.  *
********************http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~kilpatri/*******************