Re: Steel Wheels

Jeff Newton wrote:

> I remember a while back someone putting up a pic of their GTI with
> steel wheels and Passat covers.  My question is where can I get
> steel wheels for my GLX.  I understand that our brakes get in the
> way of most wheels so which ones fit on GTI/GLX?

I have 'em on my car, though I didn't post a pic. (The photo was on the
web archive of the GTI list; I don't know if it's still there.) I got
mine from the Tire Rack, with Pirelli 210A snow tires in the stock size.
They are 6x15" and fit just fine on my '97 GTI. As far as I can tell,
they aren't OEM VW wheels, but they look like they could. I'm not so
sure how sturdy they are, as I've already bent the rim of one very
slightly. I guess it could be hammered back into place, though the
wheel's not out of balance, so I probably won't bother.
Chris