Re: CD Changer for the Bose system

On 12/15/97 11:43:36 you wrote:

>I just got off the phone with Crutchfield, and they told me that I
>had to go to the dealer to get a changer for the Bose sound system
>in the Jetta.  The guy hadn't heard of any adapter cable or anything
>that would allow either a Panasonic or a Clarion changer to work
>with the Bose head unit.
>
>He was willing to let me try one, and take it back if it didn't work,
>but I wanted to check here again first.  Does anyone know if a
>Panasonic changer really will work?  How about Clarion?  And where
>do I go to get that magic adapter cable?
>
>--
>     /// Stefan Hudson <hudson@mbay.net>
>__  /// Senior Network Administrator - Monterey Bay Internet
>\\\/// http://www.mbay.net/  -  Email: info@mbay.net
> \XX/ Voice: 408-642-6100  Fax: 408-642-6101  Modem: 408-642-6102

The following is the information that I gathered concerning mating the appropriate aftermarket
CD changer with the factory VW head unit (a.k.a. - Panasonic or Clarion)

	Panasonic head units do not have a tab on the cassete door
	Clarion head units do have a tab on the cassete door

A company called Precision Interface Electronics (P.I.E.) out of Chatsworth, CA sells an adaptor
for the Clarion head unit equipped VW's.  I believe the adaptor attaches at the head unit
itself.  P.I.E. also sells an adaptor for the Panasonic head unit equipped VW's which also
attaches at the head unit.  P.I.E. tells me that within a week or two they will be releasing a
adaptor for the Panasonic/Bose [amplifier & speaker] equipped VW's a.k.a. 1997-1998 Jetta GLX's
which will mate with the DIN adaptor that is pre-wired into the left side of the trunk.

The phone number for P.I.E. is (818) 678-3690, they also have a web-site at www.pie.net

Hope this helps, if I've made any errors please don't hesitate to correct me,

David Kim
1997 Vento GLX