Re: Suspension Advice Needed

From: Jeff Newton <newton@pmc-sierra.bc.ca>
>I thought that perhaps I could just get new springs
>installed and abuse my stock shocks for a year or so before upgrading them

I think the weakest part of the '97 suspension is the shocks.  They should
be
the first things to go.

>Is it the spring or shocks that contribute to ride harshness?

IMO (again) the shocks have the biggest effect.  When I had a Golf, I put
Neuspeed Sofsports and Boge Turbos and thought it was too stiff.  I swapped
out the Boges for Neuspeed/Bilsteins and was much happier with that set up.
The ride was more compliant (in a BMW sort of way) and it handled the same.
This was an A2 Golf and I can't guarantee that the results would be the same
on an A3.

Right now my car is stock.  In the near future I'm going to put in Bilstein
HD's ($369 + $20 shipping from http://www.shox.com ).  As yet I'm undecided
about springs.  I may keep the stock ones, but I'm thinking about Sofsports
or Shine Racing's Real Street springs ( http://www.srsvw.com/page5.html -
the part about not being able to use the Bilsteins with stock springs
doesn't apply to '97s).

>I'd hate to drop major cash
>on a setup that ends up too harsh.

Me too.