CVO Club Update and Holiday Party [long]

Hi guys,

I know many of you had expressed interest in the CVO in the past, and for
one reason or another, you might not have been privy to the club
information that you needed, or you got it too late. This is a posting that
was sent to club members and interested enthusiasts about the status of the
organization. If you would like to be part of the group, please contact me
directly, or if you just want to be dropped on our mailing list, let me
know. If you don't care, delete this right now.  :)

I am also searching for Chris Calato and Abe Getchel. You guys need to send
me some specific updates for our database.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Doug

(also, the Chicago Volkswagen Organization is in no way related to
http://www.vwvortex.com)

>>  Hi all,

Please excuse the short notice, but things have been just slightly hectic
in my land of design. The CVO is undergoing some changes as we speak, and
I'll get to more on that later.

But first...

It's hard to believe that it's been an entire year since we all started
meeting for lunch. To honor this first unbelievable year, The Chicago
Volkswagen Organization is celebrating next Sunday, the 14th with it's
first annual year-end Holiday Party.

All CVO members (and even those of you watching from the outside) and VW
enthusiasts are invited to attend the party, CVO will provide snacks and
some beverages. All we ask of you is to bring yourself and some holiday
cheer. Of course, if you have any CVO momentos (pictures, videos, etc.) you
would like to share, we would love to see them.

Here are the details:
     When:         Sunday, December 14th, 1997  3:00pm to ???
     Where:        Timberlake Clubhouse (thanks to Tom Wojcik)
                   Timberlake Drive, Aurora, Illinois

     Directions:   From I-88 West take Orchard Road South to Indian Trail
Road. Take Indian Trail Road East to Edgelawn and turn right (South). Take
Edgelawn to Colorado Avenue and turn left (North). From Colorado Avenue,
The clubhouse is 1/4 mile down on the right side.

If you prefer to bring wine, champagne, snacks, deserts, etc. please do so.
Come out and have a good time, but don't drink so much that you need to
stay with Tom for the night.  ;)

In other CVO news, this mass mailing is going to anyone who has either
joined the club officially or expressed interest in the CVO somewhere along
the line. If you did NOT receive the last CVO newsletter, "The Contact
Patch," from November/December, that means we don't have your (complete)
mailing address. If you wish to receive the newsletter while it is still
free (not much longer), please forward your mailing address to me at
douglas.carter@platinum.com or at doug@vwvortex.com. Your entry to the CVO
database will then be updated.

The CVO also now has a checking account, so if they haven't already, your
membership checks should finally be clearing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

There will also be another great CVO event in January on the 25th. On that
Sunday at 1pm to approximately 3:30pm, BEST Racing in Willowbrook will be
hosting a Safety Equipment Seminar with food and a special prize drawing.
BEST Racing is a retailer that sells Racing apparel such as helmets,
driving suits, gloves, shoes, harnesses and other racing-related goods.
This is the ONLY site that I know of anywhere that you can try on helmets
from Bell, Simpson, Arai and Shoei. They stock a complete line of goods and
if there is something that you don't see, they will get it for you. CVO
members are eligible for a 10% discount on merchandise from BEST Racing
(which, off of their already great prices, is awesome) and on the day of
the event you will get 15% off of anything. They are also distributors of
Schroth, Stand 21, OMP, Sparco and a ton of other products. There will be
directions and more information in the January issue of The Contact Patch.

Also, in case you had not heard yet, the CVO is already planning for
Treffen '98, and in all likeliness, it will be at a junior college just
north of O'Hare. Things are looking like Treffen '98 will be huge, so make
plans now for August 2nd to be there.

We will also be experimenting with a new event June 6th & 7th, called the
VW Run-and-Gun. On Saturday, grudge-racing at Byron Dragway in Byron,
Illinois will keep us busy challenging each other until they won't let us
run anymore. From there, the group will caravan (legally) down to Utica,
Illinois to Bennett Kartway for a Camp/Cookout and then an autocross on
Sunday afternoon.  We are still in the planning stages for this event, but
the seminar at BEST Racing might be a good time to start planning ahead for
the race, as Snell rated helmets will be required.

The CVO has also elected board members (officially), and among others,
Bryan Joslin is the official Director of the CVO, with Tom Wojcik as the
Assistant Director.

As for me, I am the Marketing Director for the club, hence the new changes
that will be implemented. The first was the redesign and redistribution of
the CVO newsletter. With this completed, the new logo and CVO calling cards
were attacked. At the holiday party, there will be examples of both to see
and calling cards to take with. They will be essentially business cars for
perspective CVO members to get information. Dropping one underneath a wiper
blade of a VW-lover's car could yield some new friends.

current and accurate source for club information. We are searching out a
new home for the site, so if any of you have any ideas for a server, we'd
be happy to hear them. I will be responsible for the look and marketing of
the club and the website from now on, so if you have any questions about
these or would just like to contribute some time or help, feel free to
contact me directly.

Also, if you would conversely like to be removed from this database, please
let me know.  Thanks.

Hope to see you all at the Holiday party or at the BEST Racing event in
January,

Cheers,

Doug Carter

douglas.carter@platinum.com