Re: break in period

From: Ryan Hart <ryanhart@ntr.net>
>All RIGHT. I GIVE UP. Since they change the oil at 600 miles in the exotic
>motorcycle engines you mention in the other post, which I've quoted below,
>then I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that VW does things exactly
the
>same way, and that you were the one who helped them develop the procedure.
>Note to the original poster: It has always been my experience that the
>manufacturers, with the possible exception of Chrysler, know their stuff
>fairly well. It has always seemed especially true of the German motorcar
>makers.
>That being said, I think that this 600-mile guy is a super-genius, and I
>withdraw every bit of advice I've EVER posted. Listen to him from now on,
>and throw away the little manual that came with the car. You know, the one
>with the service intervals in it.

Settle down there, cowboy!  All I said was that VW doesn't use special break
in oil anymore, which they don't.  Other than that, I'm with you all the
way.
My apologies if I wasn't clear about it, but the point of the
motorcycle-related post was that early oil changes cause problems, i.e.
motors that don't break in for 50k and suck oil like a Hungarian porn queen
(I have a video and oil receipts as proof of the similarities).  Those wacky
Beemer dudes (yes, I was one, but I've recovered - temporarily) are screwing
up when they change their oil so soon and put in synthetic.  Personally, I'd
hate to drive a car/ride a motorcycle around for 3-4 years waiting for it to
break in.  Anyway, in a previous post I think I said that I wasn't going to
change my Jetta's oil until 5k, I didn't change my ex-Passat's oil until
7.5k, and my ex-Audi has 150k on it with no engine/turbo problems at all,
o/c every 5k, as per specs.
For those of you whose panties are in a bunch about having to wait so long
to change your oil, read this:
http://www.gti-club.org/gti-vr6/problem/oil.change.interval.html

Chris