Re: Fuel Tank Capacity

On November 30, 1997, Daniel Bairos wrote:

"1st why would you drive on empty?  2nd I have heard that its not good
for the fuel pump either.  I think that you are crazy to let your tank
go to see how many gallons it takes.   I think you should write to VW
and telll them how you feel."

1.  I don't normally drive "on empty", but I'd rather just go to the pump
less frequently, hence, I usually get alot of miles between fill-ups.  I know
that it doesn't change how much I spend on gas or what MPG's I get, but the
less I'm at the pump, the more I'm driving or doing something else.

2.  I agree with you that it probably isn't good for your fuel pump.  With my
'98 GLX, I usually fill up when the low fuel light comes on (it still
supposed to have 2 gallons in the tank) which is usually around 275 - 325
miles or so.  So I try not to let it go until it's empty.  And to tell you
the truth, I wasn't trying to "let it go" to find out how many gallons the
tank holds, it just happened that I really thought I could get more miles on
that tank.  It was an accident that it happened that way.

3.  As for the fuel tank capacity, I actually talked to the service manager
at the VW dealership that I bought the car at told me that the tank has a
long neck?!?  That's ludicrous and is no way explaining why the tank only
holds 13 gallons.  After that and a couple of other things like that, I will
be bringing my car to another dealer for service.  Anyway, thanks for the
info.

Chuck Marshall
'98 GLX
Black with Black Leather