Re: automatic sunroof/ kinda

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:14:07 -0400 "christopher n. collier"
<collier@iglou.com> writes:
>hi all, chris collier here,
>
>i have a question for those of us with the automatic sunroof closing
>feature while holding the key to the right;
>
>i USED to have this feature up until 5 days ago; i locked my car and
>held the key; the windows all rolled up, but the sunroof did not
>close;
>when i unlocked the door, just the driver's window rolled down; pretty
>weird stuff going on;
>
>my question is this:  has anyone else experienced this quirk of the
>automatic system in our veedubs; and if so how was it rectified, and
>what was the cause of this;
>
>i remember there being discussion about this months ago and would
>appreciate any input from those who have suffered from the same
>ailment
>

>thanks all
>
>--
>christopher n. collier
>collier@iglou.com
>
>SCCA Member
>R254561
>Region 017
>
>97 VW Jetta GLX VR6
>Digest Version of Mods Available Upon Request.......
>
>In search/need of a 2.0L 16v engine for project car

Hi Chris

All I can say is.......get your pimp ride to the dealer and get it
documented!!!
This was one of the more minor problems my 97GLX Lemon had, but was also
one of the more fustrating!  Though seen by my friends as 'marks of
character', the goofy electrical problems are EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!!!  They
reproduce, those little buggers, and mine were notorius for not
displaying themselves to VW.  The one mechanic that did witness the horn
not beeping (when locking the car) later suffered acute amnesia.

Started innocently enough with the horn sporadically beeping when locking
car.
Next came all 4 windows going down immediately upon unlocking the door,
which soon evolved to just the 2 rear windows going down.  Mind you, I
was just trying to get into the damn car;  my key would be out of the
door lock and I'd be climbing into the car while the windows rolled down!
 It climaxed with the alarm going off for 1-2 sec after opening a door to
get in.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your car.......maybe
it's not too late and  it's only partially possessed. As insurance,  I
would suggest hiring an exorcist after VW 'fixes' your ride.

May the force be with you, OB1

Rob

PS   VW service managers and a SoCal regional factory rep described these
defects as impossibilities   :)