Re: MSRP and Cost of the 97 GLX (long) -Def of NEW

At 9:52 PM -0400 8/25/97, Etienne Totti Del Toro wrote:
>Mr. Klatt. Come on! You must be kidding. I love my car, but if I could
>get into an A8, A6 or an A4 (quatro), tomorrow I'd do it in a second.
>Have you driven the A8, we are not talking about anything remotely
>comparable to the GLX. I just drove one recently 'cause my father is
>loooking into one; I would rate it as far as comfort and drive, better
>than any (yes any) Benz and on a par with any (yes any) BMW. Those of
>you who disagree, just drop it; I've wasted enough time with non Jetta
>related speculations. Oh by the way; drive the A8!:-)

I agree with everything you've said, but what is it that you are
challenging in my statements? You've got a point, in that I have NEVER
driven an Audi A4 not to mention an A6 or an A8... I am still in (pleased)
shock over how much of an improvement my GLX is over the Toyota Corolla I
used to have (yeah, yeah, enough already ;)

There's no DOUBT that an Audi is a nicer car, but I'm just saying that from
just looking at specs on the web, I can't see a $8000 difference to upgrade
to an A4. When you're talking an A8, it's a completely different class of
automobile. No way a 6 cylinder VW is going to compare!

Let's compare apples to apples. An A6 is at least in the same ballpark as a
GLX, and yes, it's a much nicer car. What I'm saying is, is it $10,000
nicer? Boy, I find that $8,000 premium for an A4 a bit hard to swallow, if
you don't-- congratulations on a fine choice, I'll spend my $8,000
elsewhere, like modding up my GLX so that it performs better at "prudent
and reasonable" speeds. :-)

Maybe I need to go test drive one, wonder if the dealer will let me drive
it to Montana!!! :-)

Nothing you've said makes me want to back down from my statements, except one:

A GLX is CERTAINLY out of an A8's class of automobile. (Look, ma, I
admitted I was wrong! ;) Otherwise, my other statements still ring true to
me:

A GLX is in the same general class as an A4 or an A6.
You're going to spend about $8,000 or more on an Audi than a GLX.
A GLX is cut from the same general cloth as an A4 or A6.
I'd rather spend $25,000 on a GLX than $3X,000 on an A4 or A6.
If I *was* going to spend $3X,000 on ANY car, it would be an Audi over a
Beamer or Mercedes anyday.

Is that SO wrong?

- -Khan

>Khan M. Klatt wrote:
>
>> At 2:47 PM -0500 8/25/97, S. Joseph Mann wrote:
>> >Yeah, I'm thinking about trying this with a Audi A4 30valve in a year
>> or
>> >so.  Sorry
>> >guys, isn't the point of life to constantly improve one life style?
>>
>> Yeah, but let's get real here. I've been comparing notes between the
>> GLX
>> and Audi/Beamer/Mercedes (I'm just a German car kinda guy, I guess.. I
>>
>> couldn't bear really buying anything else), and I can't imagine
>> spending
>> that much dough on a car. I mean I'd go out and buy a Hummer or an ATV
>> of
>> some sort (or even import a Corrado and spend the saved bucks on
>> modding it
>> to be a convertible, etc.) before I spent more than $25,000 for a car
>> in
>> the GLX's class.
>>
>> If you're talking about a car >>> (much greater) than a GLX, then
>> fine. But
>> I simply don't think that an A4 or an A6, or even an A8 are *THAT*
>> much out
>> of the GLX's class.
>>
>> Me, I look at a GLX as the "little baby cousin" of the Audi family.
>> It's
>> got the same blood, just a different shell. BMW and Mercedes make fine
>>
>> automobiles, but just to drive one that's WORTH driving, you have to
>> fork
>> out >> $25,000. Just my opinions, I'd love to hear yours.

Khan Klatt					   khan@pacificrim.net
Pacific Rim Network, Inc.			    (360) 650-0442 x13
http://www.khan.org			     http://www.pacificrim.net

       A member of the VERIO group of Internet Service Providers