Re: MSRP and Cost of the 97 GLX (long) -Def of NEW

At 4:13 PM -0500 8/25/97, S. Joseph Mann wrote:
>One word,...."Quattro"
>
>http://www.audi.com/a4home/
>
>But I think this is out of scope for this list...

I don't think so, especially if it's in comparison to a Jetta GLX...

My *BASE* car was $22,000 something dollars. I went to the A4 home, and
filled out their little "configure your own". Even without the all wheel
drive system, I checked the leater seat upholstery, glass sunroof, sport
package, and trip computer, and got a price >> $22,000. In fact, about
$8,000 >> than a $22,000 Jetta GLX.

Now don't get me wrong here. The Quattro A4 is a WONDERFUL car, but I have
to ask myself, if I had $35,000 would I spend $25,000 of that on a Jetta
GLX, and save $10,000 for X, Y, and Z, or would I buy a Quattro A4? For
that extra $8,000 you get marginal returns in HP, space, comfort,
performance, gas mileage, and sex appeal.

Now, much of that is subjective, but in my opinion, I'd rather save the
$8,000 and pay off a few other bills, or invest in the stock market or
no-load mutual funds. Now THAT, that's off topic. :)

- -Khan