Re: MSRP and Cost of the 97 GLX (long)

Demo, Demo, Demo!!!

See if you can find a Demo '97 GLX.  I bought my Sequoia Green (no leather) '95
GLX dealer Demo in October of '95 for $18,000 with about 3 or 4k on the
odometer. And I got them to throw in those ridiculously expensive floor mats.
Here's the trick, after that many miles, hopefully they've found any and all
quarks in the car, and the two/ten year warranty still starts from the date of
your purchase.  Besides, you still get the feeling of buying a brand new car,
but you pay a lot less.  The dealer cost on my car in 95 was $18,800.

Here's what Edmund's says about the cost and price of the 97 GLX
http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/cars/Volkswagen/557.97.html#baseprice

'97 Jetta GLX
1H27T4 Sedan GLX 4-Dr 5-speed Manual
Invoice = $19,312
MSRP = $20,930
Destination Charge: $500
Dealer Hold Back: 2% of the Total MSRP

Oh, and here's the Kelly Blue Book for the 97 Jetta GLX...
http://204.178.205.60/cgi-bin/cgi.exe?kbb+zip:78759+nc+ncfrm:01474

They list an early and late production model for the 97.

Basically, if you pay $24,000 for a 97 GLX WITH EVERYTHING!, you're still
getting majorly F*CKING screwed.  (And I don't use that word very often. :-)
Especially since the 98s are almost here.  Oh, I'm not really including tax
here, but even still.

Hey, when talking to a sales slug, NEVER seem anxious to buy, and ALWAYS seem
reluctant.  This will make the sales dude feel like he has to work harder and
give you more to sell you the car. Hey, even if they sell you the car at cost,
they're still making around $400 on the car from the 2% Dealer Hold Back. So
never feel sorry for these guys.

That's enough out of me.

Jettamann