Re: headers

At 02:08 PM 8/18/97 -0400, you wrote:

>seems like the mod'ed stock airbox keep's air temp down, anyone try
>putting a heat sheild around the airbox for even cooler temps? how about
>those hella front air intakes?

Not to pick on anyone in particular or to insult anyone, but . . .
	If I were to think of spending many hundreds to thousands of dollars on
all sorts of engine mods, I'd go for a completely different approach.
Spend the bucks on professional driving school.
	Learning how to do it like the REAL big boys will pay off infinitely more.
 How much for the easy stuff like a chip kit, exhaust, air filter, etc?
$600+?  That'll buy at least a day's worth of driving school at a track (no
cops, no trucks, no sh*t) where you can flog somebody *else's* car.  The
best part is, that the skills will stay with you even when VW is rolling
out the A15 body (or whatever the hell they're calling it by then)  Want a
hot camshaft or the 3.1L kit?  That'll buy a lot more time.
	Dan Gurney taught at a driving school in the early '80's.  One of the hot
shoe editors at one of the car rags (and I'm sure these guys are already
well above average skill levels) went out on the track with 'ol Dan.  The
editor had a fully prepped 280Z (when it was still a sports car).  Mr.
Gurney had a showroom Celica (when it was a dash-choke econo car).  Mr.
Gurney spent the next several laps scuffing the rear bumper of the Z with
the front end of the Celica.  Mr. Editor was insulted by the fact the he
could *see* Gurney laughing at him in the rear-view mirror.
	No thanks, I'll pass on the 20-30 h.p. . . .  'course that's just my $0.02.

				Dave

Dave Petke			DoD # 1615
Kennett Square, PA		AMA#429282

Sport-tourers of ALL sizes!
'96 Suzuki Bandit 600		(lightweight)
'96 Triumph Trophy 900	(middleweight)
'97 VW Jetta GLX		(heavyweight)

Fast!?  I was doin' a hundred, easy!!  - Bugs Bunny in Rabbit Transit