My (almost) 15k miles report

I wanted to compare notes with everyone as the miles have almost hit 15k
on my '97 GLX.

I too have noticed some squeeking and a rattle that I plan to have the
dealer fix at the next scheduled service. I'm a bit disappointed in VW
about this...

I've noticed the idle get a little "lumpy" at times. I plan on running
Techron through before I change the oil again.

Speaking of oil, I bought an oil filter today (Bill Cook VW/Audi/Porsche
in Farmington Hills, MI) for $10.71. While I thought this was a bit high
for a filter that looks cheaper to manufacture than the traditional metal
canister type, it is quite a bit less than what I saw another list member
quote ($18 something?). I plan on searching for a better price by buying
in volume (say 6 or more at a time).

Changes/additions I've made...
- -bought a Colgan bra. I hate these things, but the wife would never go
for the $$ of those clear film kits that I have seen ($200-400 plus
install and assuming a kit is available for the car). The paint was
getting chipped (and bugs were making impact dimples in the bumper
paint!) way too easily. BTW, this is not just VW, the guys on the BMW
list have been complaining about this also.

- -Clear turn/fog lens covers(thanks John Z!). Work great. Protect fog lens
from chips and sandblasting that degrades foglamp performance and also
from thermal shocks that could crack the lens.

- -Also bought the clear film from Griot's that goes over your headlamps to
protect from stone chips/sandblasting (are you detecting a pattern
here?).Invisible.Install and forget.

- -Speaking of Griot's, I bought the paint cleaning clay kit (includes clay
and "Fast Shine" lubricant/polish). This stuff works great! I could not
get a good finish after waxing because there was a ton of crud in the
paint (industrial fall-out and acid rain). This solved the problem and
was quick and easy to boot. I also use the fast shine to clean the trunk
and bumper before I put the bike rack on. Tip:go to Pep Boys (or the
like) and buy Meguires clay and Qwik Detailer. It's cheaper and should
work as well.

That's pretty much all I'm going to do this year. Next spring/summer will
bring tire and suspension upgrades and a chip...

Safety Fast,

John Darwak
'97 GLX Sequoia/Biber Beige Leather